Applications for Deputy Sheriff Trainee will be accepted March 29, 2021 – April 23, 2021.
About Our Department
The San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Department consists of 2 major operations – Patrol Division and Custody. The Patrol Division division also provides services to two contract cities, the City of Lathrop and Mountain House. There are currently 871 total positions in the Sheriff’s Department including 286 Deputy Sheriff positions. Patrol Operations, Administration, and the Jail are located in French Camp.
About the position
A career as a Deputy Sheriff with San Joaquin County begins with becoming a Deputy Sheriff Trainee where you will attend a POST academy and obtain an Academy Certificate. Upon graduation from the Academy, you are eligible to promote to the Deputy Sheriff I position that includes the added benefit of Safety retirement which enhances your pension payout after retirement. After successfully completing one year as a Deputy Sheriff I, you will obtain your Basic POST Certificate and promote to Deputy Sheriff II. Deputy Sheriffs with San Joaquin County have a wide array of opportunities available in different divisions of the department such as Patrol, Investigations, Narcotics, Boating Safety, Community Car Program, and Courts. Special assignments with SWAT, K9 and Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD) can also be assigned.
- Attends the assigned POST Certified Basic Academy and successfully meets all academic and physical requirements.
- Receives training in the use of a variety of law enforcement equipment, physical fitness techniques, arrest control techniques, and other required trainings.
- Learns the principles and techniques of interviewing victims, witnesses, and suspects.
- Develops and maintains good relations with the general public, and exchanges crime-related and general information with other law enforcement agencies.
- Learns and may assist in operating electronic communication equipment to transmit and receive messages from electronic communication-equipped vehicles and other stations.
- Learns to prepare a variety of reports and correspondence to meet department policy and protocol.
- May assist Deputy Sheriffs on routine calls in a learning capacity.
- May assist with supervision of inmates in a variety of activities at the detention facility.
Final Filing Date: April 23, 2021
Physical Agility Testing Date: May 7, 2021
Written Exam Date: May 10, 2021
Requirements and Qualifications
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a General Education Development certificate (G.E.D.), or have attained a two-year or four-year degree from an accredited institution.
- Be at least 20.5 years of age upon appointment
- Meet minimum standards required for Peace Officers as set forth in Section 1029 and 1031 of the Government Code
- Pass background investigation conducted by Sheriff’s Department
- Meet physical standards established for safety members
- Possess a valid California Driver’s License
Candidates must be able to successfully pass a background investigation conducted by the Sheriff’s Office to be considered for this position. Background requires attending an orientation, submitting a personal history statement, drug screening, voice stress analysis, and a physical and psychological exam.
Compensation and Benefits
Approximate Monthly Base Salary: $4,850-$5,895
In addition to the base salary, the County offers an excellent benefits plan which includes a county contribution to health insurance, dental and vision insurance plans. Other benefits also offered by the County include:
- 1937 Act defined benefit retirement plan with reciprocity with CalPERS
- 10 days of vacation leave a year (15 days after three years, 20 days after 10 years, 23 days after 20 years)
- 12 days of sick leave annually with unlimited accumulation
- 14 paid holidays per year
- Members of the Safety, Investigative, and Custodial bargaining unit are eligible for life insurance up to $10,000
- 125 Flex Benefits Plan
- Educational Reimbursement Program
The San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office will be offering a hiring incentive in the amount of $10,000 ($3,000 upon completion of the Academy, $3,000 after one year, $4,000 after completion of 6th year of service). The department will award the cash incentive to any person who is hired for the position of Deputy Sheriff Trainee within the timeframes this program is active and so approved by the San Joaquin County Board of Supervisors. Additionally, a moving stipend reimbursement up to $2,000 for any cost directly associated with relocating their primary residence as a result of gaining employment with this office is available.